Pages

About Me

My photo
My name is Lucy and I have never blogged before. Well that's a lie. I have, but it was this one, and I neglected it for a little while... I live in a commuter town outside London having moved here about a year and a half ago after making some pretty big changes in my life. I share a beautiful little cottage on the Grand Union Canal with 1 crazy beautiful little girl and an equally crazy cat called Bandit (appropriately named as he now lives in all the houses on the street and steals...). Lawyer/working mum and it would appear, terminally single (I've reserved my spinster plaque already) I was fortunate to escape the evil commute about a year ago but seem to have less time than ever.... If I entertain you, make you laugh or fume (or make you have an emotion of ANY description) then my job is done. Enjoy x

Sunday 1 April 2012

...and whey (finally)

And so, the final piece of the LMP puzzle....the meringue!*

The recipe - LMP courtesy of the New York Times Cook Book (1961 edition!)

Part 2, the meringue

3 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
6 tbsp sugar (I used caster sugar)

1. Beat the egg whites until light and frothy.  Add the cream of tartar and continue beating until the whites are stiff enough to hold a peak (I used my mother's Kenwood to bear the brunt of this work.  I have made meringue before whisking by hand but its pretty bloody knackering!).

2. Gradually beat in the sugar and beat until the meringue is stiff and glossy (yes, I did the holding-the-bowl-upside-down-over-my-head test.  I always do.  It makes me feel like a superior baker (and no the whites did not fall on my head or out of the bowl although I'm sure that I will one of these days my cockiness will leave me literally with egg on my face).

3. Pile the meringue lightly on cooled pie filling, spreading it until it touches the edges of the pastry to prevent the meringue shrinking.

Yes, the iPhone was resurrected.  Huzzah!


4. Bake in a preheated hot oven (425F) until the top is brown, five to six minutes.



You might notice there is one meringue-free tart on the bottom right of the first picture.  While I was finishing off the LMPs, Nan cruised into the kitchen to watch me bake (and comment) and requested that I leave one of the tarts without any meringue.  I dutifully agreed as any good granddaughter should and continued to finish off the LMPs.  When we sat down to eat Nan then took one of the regular LMPs and claimed she had never put in such a request...

* I do apologise for the delay, it was not intended.  I had to go to a client event one night, overdid it that night so had to put myself to bed early the following night then had a friend's birthday party (which also involved me having to scale an iron poker fence....in heels....because I couldn't get out of the station.  In my mind walking the 10 minutes it would have taken to get to my car seemed too much like hard work but shimmying over the fence was fine?!?) and so finally here we are.  You really wanted to know that didn't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment